Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Eddy viscosity of smagorinsky LES model

Posted by swang251swang251  
Eddy viscosity of smagorinsky LES model
February 27, 2018 06:28AM
Hi,

I am trying to understand static Smagorinsky model implemented in Palabos. As described in the documentation:
In the Palabos implementation, the strain-rate is computed from the stress tensor \Pi.
I could understand this from the relationship between the stress tensor and strain rate: Pineq=-2cs2*rho*tau*S.

However, when I look at the file /complexDynamics/smagorinskyDynamics.hh: , I could not understand how the function computeOmega calculates the omega_{total} where the code is
Language: C++
static T computeOmega(T omega0, T preFactor, T rhoBar, Array<T,SymmetricTensor<T,Descriptor>::n> const& PiNeq) { T PiNeqNormSqr = SymmetricTensor<T,Descriptor>::tensorNormSqr(PiNeq); T PiNeqNorm = std::sqrt(PiNeqNormSqr); T alpha = preFactor * Descriptor<T>::invRho(rhoBar); T linearTerm = alpha*PiNeqNorm; T squareTerm = (T)2*alpha*alpha*PiNeqNormSqr; // In the following formula, the square-root appearing in the explicit form of // omega is developed to second-order. return omega0*(1-linearTerm+squareTerm); }

This calculation seems to be a different form compared to the one in the paper by Hou, et al. (1994)[1] or the one by Krafczyk 2003[2]. If so, what is the benefits of this form?

Could anyone help explain this or provide any reference?

Thank you in advance.

With best,
Song

[1] Hou, et al. 1994, "A lattice Boltzmann subgrid model for high Reynolds number flows"
[2] Krafczyk 2003 "LARGE-EDDY SIMULATIONS WITH A MULTIPLE-RELAXATION-TIME LBE MODEL"
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.